[filmscanners] Re: shoot first, fix it later

Laurie

Your point about the use of tilt-shift etc. controls for architectural is
well made.  In my minds eye I was seeing the classic Arch Dig. image of some
new-fangled interior shot - which is far more about lighting than the use of
the controls.  For interior work you aren't using selective focus, and
vertical and horizontal shifts can usually be acomplished by moving the
camera.

As for the 'quality of image' issue - given the resolving abilities of
modern films,  even a high quality publication like AD isn't screening their
printing at resolutions beyond 4000x6000 dots (in reality they aren't even
close to that) for a full page spread - which puts it squarely in the
resolving abilities of 35mm film.  Nor can the dynamic range of a mass
printed publication like AD take advantage of the enhanced tonal rendition
you get in larger format film (more on that later as it is what my #4 point
was about).

I also agree completely with your description of the use of polaroids.

What did I mean by #4: - well it all has to do with "information density".
About 9 mos ago I gave a small local seminar introducing 4x5 to a bunch of
35mm amateurs.  As a preview, I shot the same architectural interior in B&W
with both 210mm 4x5 and a good quality 35mm zoom set to the same field of
view as the 4x5.  Film, exposure, development, printing filtration, printing
enlarger were all the same.  I printed 3 shots:  full frame 8x10, 8x10
cropped out of 11x14, and 8x10 cropped from 32x40.  Even at 8x10 you could
tell the difference and normal viewing distances.  Not by grain or
sharpness, but by tonal 'depth' in the shadows.

In essence the 4x5 is able to capture more subtle tonal variation before
limiting out either by grain or by lens/diffraction than 35mm film is.  This
makes logical sense at very large enlargements where grain is pronounced,
but it applies down to much lower enlargements as well, simply because there
is more ability to capture the information coming through the lens.

This translates to an increased latitude of exposure - becuase the greater
tonal rendition essentially lets you be less precise with your deepest
shadow exposures.  After all, if in a perfect exposure in deep shadows you
would 'flip' 4/8 crystals on a 4x5, getting it wrong might only flip 2, but
something was captured.  Wheras on a 35mm, that variation might be
completely contained within a single crystal, and not getting it to 'flip'
essentially loses that detail, even though on a properly exposed test chart,
that level of resolution is within the bounds of the film.

Did I explain that clearly?