[filmscanners] Re: New Epson 3200 Photo

>It'll be interesting to see what real resolution of the new Epson delivers
>under testing.  Can flatbed optics actually deliver the equiv. of a 3200
>dpi filmscanner?  Or will the 2700-2800dpi class of filmscanners have it
>beat?  (I'd bet on the latter).
>
>Lloyd's got a good point about the limits of the tranny lid.  If only it
>were larger....
>
>Bob G

As a 5x7 and 8x10 shooter, I have to agree. Still, I'll probably get
one to replace my 2450, which appears to share the same chassis. I
will then disassemble the 2450, line the interior with black velvet,
and replace the glass with an aluminum plate with a 4.5 x 9 cutout.
The former to increase separation in dense areas by reducing internal
reflections, the latter to provide a clear optical path. In other
words, convert it to a dedicated film scanner.

If the results improve as much as I suspect, I'd do the same on the 3200.

--
Bruce C. Kinch
Associate Professor of Photography