From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of Tim Schooler
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 7:29 PM
To: bkubiak@attbi.com
Subject: [filmscanners] Re:Kodachrome green / scanner colorimetry

At 12:00 AM 11/27/2002 +0000, you wrote:

>Please look at the examples and try it for yourself. It does MUCH more
than
>what you are suggesting. It brings life to an image that wasn't there
>before. It enhances images that can't be improved with other tools. It
>allows you to "break the rules". You can take portraits with the sun
behind
>the subject to give incredible highlights to their hair and then bring
light
>to their faces. I

Hi Jack, I realize you guys are selling a product, and have an interest
in promoting it. I'm not trying to put down the product, as I am sure
the automation can be useful for people who do not have a lot of
Photoshop
experience. However, using this example, is not the best way to light a
portrait using the sun as a back light. The proper way to do it would be
meter for the sunlight falling on the hair, then use a flash or
preferably
a reflector to bring the level of light on the face to the same reading
as the hair, then you have no unpleasant shadows to deal with. If
someone
happens to err, and needs to fix the exposure later, I can see the need,
but I don't see your product as an advantage to shoot something
incorrectly
then "fix" it later.

        Best Regards,

        Tim Schooler