[filmscanners] RE: Re:Kodachrome green / scanner colorimetry

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Re:Kodachrome green / scanner colorimetry
  • From: "Jack Phipps" <JPhipps@asf.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:01:58 -0600

Hi Tim!
You offer a very good suggestion. As I said, went we challenge people at
tradeshows to accomplish what Digital SHO does, that is one of the tools
they try.

Please look at the examples and try it for yourself. It does MUCH more than
what you are suggesting. It brings life to an image that wasn't there
before. It enhances images that can't be improved with other tools. It
allows you to "break the rules". You can take portraits with the sun behind
the subject to give incredible highlights to their hair and then bring light
to their faces. In many cases there is a lot of shadow and light mixed
throughout the image. Digital SHO allows for the shadows to be enhanced
automagically, without having to create a complex mask or painting in the
missing shadows from another layer.

I've started using Digital SHO on most all of my images now. And I do what
you suggest. I run Digital SHO on a different layer and then run the opacity
or fill slider to bring in the amount of effect I want. Then I brush in
additional effect in some areas.

One of the apparent drawbacks of Digital SHO is that it makes images appear
grainier. Actually, the noise is in the shadows and it becomes more apparent
after Digital SHO does its magic. What we really need is a Digital GEM
plug-in....

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction