[filmscanners] Re: How to clean negatives

Hi Vadik,

Does the new Dual III still suffer from very visible dust on the images?
  I have this same problem with my Dual II.  It seems the problem is the
scanner uses a highly condensed lighting source which collimates it,
making the surface defects more likely to show up, as well as grain.

Static brushes (assuming it is still functional - they use a radioactive
isotope which does slowly lose its functionality) should cause the dust
to drop off.  Using the static brush and then a blast of air should
work.  Increasing your humidity levels will reduce static and also make
the dust heavier and more likely to drop off.

Lastly, you can reduce the visibility of the dust by placing a diffuser
sheet of some sort between the lighting source and the film, to soften
the light.  Also, didn't Minolta provide a software dust and scratch
removal software with this scanner, which may or may not be effective.

If that isn't good enough, consider downloading (if you are using a
Windows based system) the free Polaroid dust and scratch filter which is
available as a stand alone and Photoshop plug in.  The stand alone has a
lot of controls which allow for a very good dust removal with proper
adjustment.  However, the Photoshop plug-in has less adjustments but is
more convenient and faster.

Art