[filmscanners] RE: SprintScan 4000 cleaning

Thomas,

I had seen that procedure when it was posted a while back. In my
judgment, access to the mirror in the SS4000 was not adequate to clean
it safely without at least some disassembly. Believe me, I did take
careful consideration before moving on to disassembly.

It's not necessary to disassemble the carrier mechanism - only remove it
intact from the chassis to gain access to the mirror from the bottom.
There's a metal spring clip that holds the mirror in place; it can be
removed easily if you can get at it. FWIW, the carrier can also be
partly disassembled without much risk. It's only mechanical parts, held
together primarily with screws.

For some folks this would be dicey to take on - I'm accustomed to
working with microelectronics and small mechanical devices, so I don't
have much discomfort with tackling a project like this. In the past few
years I've also successfully disassembled and cleaned several Nikon
lenses (55/2.8 MF Micro, 105/2.8 MF Micro, 35-70/3.5 AF zoom) and a
Tamron 300/2.8 lens. The Tamron was dropped in a lake when a very large
alligator crashed out of the brush and into the water about ten feet
from me as I was changing lenses. I nearly crapped my pants, both from
being startled by the 'gator, and then upon seeing where the lens went.
It took me an entire weekend to tear down and clean the lens, but it
had/has no permanent damage; I use it regularly.

Cliff