[filmscanners] Re: Problem with Nikon SA20 film strip adaptor

> > I have an LS30 with the SA20 motorised film strip adaptor.  This should
> > take strips of up to six frames.
> >
> > It works fine with strips of up to three frames
>
> I don't know the LS30/SA20 hands-on, but certainly with the LS1000, it
> would only feed/scan the leading 3 frames by design. There was not the unit
> depth to do otherwise. You had to manually remove and reverse the carrier
> to be able to scan the other 3...

The SA-20 rolls up the film so that up to 6 frames have place in the
scanner. In practice, it often wears out over time so that it will
only accept short strips which do not have to go in far enough to be
rolled up. To get it working again, try cleaning the rubber rollers (4
of them) with methanol or so. I did that numerous times and it seems
to make a big difference.

Other than that, film has to be really flat to be loaded properly. I
also find that if a strip won't load, leaving it in the scanner after
the failed load for 5-10 minutes, then trying again usually
works. This will curl up the front end of the film sufficiently so
that the second attempt is successful.

It's still a pain, I'm told that the SA-21 for the LS-40 and LS-4k is
much better.

  Andras