[filmscanners] RE: Suggestions for scanning 4x5 transparencies

Hi Paul,

> The dither algorithm is the algorithm used to generate the actual
> pattern of
> the ink dots.

Thanks, having written dither algorithms before, I'm quite familiar with
what they are and how they work.

> Since those are laid down on a 1440x2880 (or whatever) grid,

Check the print modes in either the service manual or a detailed spec sheet.
For the 3000 they are 180x180, 360x360, 720x720 and 1440x720...BUT the
1440x720 is using MicroWeave, and has the EXACT number of "available dots"
as the 720x720 mode.

> the dither algorithm obviously operates at that resolution, not 360 or 720
> dpi.

Well, no.  The dither algorithm "operates" at what every mode the printer is
set to operate in, as that defines how many dots per unit inch it has to
work with.  If you are printing 720x720, that's what it'll dither to, since
that's the number of dots it has to work with.

Austin