[filmscanners] Re: rebuild your scanner and get better results

> They forget to mention that scanning times also increase, and they
> probably get more noise as well.

Scanning times WON'T increase. All they are changing is the effective
light source.
In some discussions on the modification, some people have claimed that
using dICE is no longer necessary, so scanning times would decrease.

> Is it just me, or do these guys see an enhancement in resolution that
> isn't there?

I don't think they claim increased resolution, but an improvement in tonal
smoothness that can reduce grain/aliasing effects. That would lead to an
improvement in "apparent" sharpness.

A few of the claims seem rather optimistic to me, but there's certainly
something interesting going on with these tests that might repay further
investigation.
I've only briefly made a few test scans here with my scanner and don't
want to draw any conclusions yet. I think results are very variable,
dependant on diffusion material and film stock.

It should also be noted that the web pages about this are meant to be
private and the author has asked them not to be publicised as yet.

Paul Holman
www.paulholman.co.uk