[filmscanners] Re: Suggestions for scanning 4x5 transparencies

Get a Lightjet print done on Ilfochrome so you'll be comparing similar paper.
(Use Google
to search for Lightjet and Ilfochrome). This is the same Ilfochrome you get
analog prints
on; it's just that in this case it's exposed by red, green and blue lasers. I
have limited
faith in inkjets in general, and I specifically think they have nothing to
compete with
Ilfochrome, not in dynamic range, not in color vibrancy and not in
real-world-proven
archival stability.

And realize that even with a good scan you may well have to do some tweaking in
Photoshop
to get your output the way you want it. You wouldn't expect the guy who did the
optical "R"
print to just throw the film in the enlarger, push a button, and get perfection
instantly.
Digital or optical, getting from a great transparency to a great print takes
care, thought
and work.

Why would he waste his time shooting 4 x 5 then scanning it on a consumer-grade
scanner?
Slow 120 on a first-rate scanner will probably outresolve 4 x 5 on a flatbed,
and will
certainly do better in the deep shadow areas. Just because a scanner has a
certain number
of pixels absolutely does not mean it is capable of that level of optical
resolution.

As a test, have him get one of his tranny's scanned professionally. He can then
use that as
a benchmark against which to compare his progress with whatever scanner he
chooses.