[filmscanners] No subject was specified.

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] No subject was specified.
  • From: "Michael O'Connor" <omichael@optonline.net>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:44:09 -0400

> Had you said Adobe or Quark, I'd agree, but Next was a flash in the
pan, and
> I don't recall it ever being a big name in anything.

Next was a bit ahead of its time and was never a mainstream success, but
as far as I recall, the www was developed on Next.
Not only is OS X a direct descendent, but I think its a safe assumption
that the idea of Windows NT was "inspired" by Next, and its naming
certainly seems derivative as well. I also understand that many of the
interface elements which now seem to be Mac OS ripoffs of Microsoft
"innovations" were in fact Windows ripoffs of the Next interface.
If Steve Jobs had not been run out of Apple, it seems certain he would
have spearheaded development of an Apple branded Next within a short
time frame, and how would the relative Windows/Mac world be now if he
had?
Next was aptly named, and its influence on the current state of personal
computer technology is much more profound than its market penetration
might lead you to believe. That's my take on it anyway.