[filmscanners] Re: CMYK rant (was Digital DarkroomComputerBuilders?)

I honestly don't know.  I can only tell you that my work flow using CMYK
and ink profiles in Photoshop, especially with the older Epson drivers,
provided me with some control that I was unable to figure out how to get
otherwise.  It is certainly possible there are methods to accomplish
what I am doing via CMYK, within the RGB mode.  I understand that Epson
printers convert the file to RGB to provide the input to the driver, so
I can't explain why I find more control, but I was unable to find a
satisfactory method to get a near screen reproduction from my printers
until I went to CMYK mode and altered the ink profiles.

I developed this technique back when Epson was first making color inkjet
printers (the original Stylus Color) and using Photoshop 2.5, and I just
continued to use it, since it worked for me.  It is very possible that
the newer drivers and printers, and the newer versions of Photoshop
have made this method obsolete, but up until now I haven't tried to use
other color management to accomplish my printing.

CMYK has certain distinct disadvantages, such as changes of printer,
monitor settings, etc, make the file fairily useless, which means
starting with RGB again, while RGB adapts to the changes. Also, the file
is larger than RGB, due to the additional channel.

Art