[filmscanners] Re: Latest developments in Scanners

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca> writes:

I think the main thing happening in the scanner industry is what is
happening in high tech overall.  It's called "we better cut our profit
margin so we can sell some of this stuff before it becomes obsolete"...
<<<<<<<<<<<<

Perhaps it's because Epson has just announced two new products, but what I'm
seeing is incremental improvements in existing products. The 3200 dpi
GT-9800F (Japanese model number) replaces the (now discontinued) 2400 dpi
2450 (export model number), and the 2880x2880 dot 970C replaces the
2880x1440 dot 950C.

Similarly, in digital cameras, Sony has come out a 5MP sensor in the same
size as the earlier 3MP and 4MP sensors, so 5MP P&S digitals should be
coming out in rapid succession.

Still, I think we're talking about the same phenomenon, since these "new"
products are really only slight modifications of the older versions.

It seems to be happening with film scanners, digital cameras, computers,
printers, monitors, etc.

I see little in the way of new developments at the moment.  I think the
current strategy is to rebox the old stuff with new colors and flavors,
maybe some improvements in software, and clear the warehouses of the
parts, to keep some money coming in and some people working.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Exactly, although I expect to see a steady stream of new models with small
incremental improvements. Still, some of these incremental improvements will
be appreciated. I was disappointed in the Epson 2450 for 645 (and bought an
8000ED), but an extra 20% or so resolution (i.e. even if it doesn't cough up
the advertised 33% improvement) might make the difference for people who
were not as rash as I. (Also, the review of the 970C printer claims that it
provides a noticeable improvement in sharpness.)

Also, the market is in pretty good shape, in terms of products. About the
only obvious holes are an MF scanner in the US$1000 to US$1500 price range
and a pigment ink inkjet in the A4 (letter/legal) size.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan