[filmscanners] RE: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

>From what I can gather from the Matrox Parhelia marketing info, you can't
_really_ color manage three different monitors. Their three-head display is
intended for three identical monitors. What's more, in that mode, you can
only get three 1280x1024 displays, which is pretty measly. Fortunately, it
can do a pair of 2048x1536 displays, which is pretty cool.

Also, the 10-bit "Giga-color" display is something that can only be used by
launching an applet or Photoshop plug-in. It doesn't just make the entire
display automatically ten bits deep. However, even in 8-bit mode, having a
10-bit DAC is useful because it keeps the color lookup table curves from
introducing posterization through round-off errors.

What the world _really_ needs is a video card with an ICM engine built into
the hardware for each output. That would make possible identical color on
dissimilar displays.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco