[filmscanners] Re: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

> A 32-bit address space can only span 4 gigabytes.  I can't go past 4
> gigabytes with a 32-bit architecture.

I don't know how exactly it works, but linux can go up to 64GB on
x86. You are probably restricted to 4GB per process though, because
the address registers are only 32 bits wide.

BTW, the address space has nothing to do with the size of the CPU word
-- the 32-bit 68040 had 64-bit address registers, for instance.

> > But a motherboard with an onboard EIDE RAID
> > controller is only around $60-$80 more than
> > the same board without one.
>
> Perhaps where you live, but everything is more expensive in France.  And
> even at U.S. prices I didn't have enough of a budget for extras.

Oh! When I bought my mainboard here in Britain a few months ago, I
could have gone for the RAID option (which also includes FireWire as a
bonus) for less than GBP20 extra.

> Alignment isn't a problem for me, since my head barely moves in front of my
> desk.  But I just cannot find a flat-panel display with the same quality as
> a good CRT for the same price--or for any price, for that matter.

Look at an Eizo L685, you'll be surprised.

  Andras