[filmscanners] RE: Get a Mac...Digital Darkroom ComputerBuilders?

At 9:27 PM -0400 10/21/02, Austin Franklin wrote:
>  > >> I believe most engineering tools, are simply
>>  >> not available on the Mac.
>>

>>  Well there's one very major program, ProTools, for professional sound
>>  recording, which  is still Mac only.    I don't know if recording
>>  engineering fits your description, though.
>
>Hi Ken,
>
>No, recording "engineering" isn't really engineering, by the traditional
>sense of the word (like an engineering discipline you would get a degree
>from MIT for ) ...as in, what one would use EDA tools for...as I was
>specifically talking about EDA tools.
>
>You are right, the Mac has a good grasp on the niche market of digital audio
>recording.
>
>Austin

Each platform has its niches. Architecture (full, degree and
credentials owning architecture) is best served by some Mac programs;
and no, AutoCad isn't among them. AutoCad is a decent, DOS based
engineering program, but it's not a very cost effective or intuitive
architectural program. Fortunately for the Windoze world, many of the
good Mac architectural programs have now been ported.

The main point is that the platform isn't as important as the
software. Both Mac and Windows work, and each has deficiencies. The
performance difference is slight, so use what you are comfortable
with and only change or add a different platform if you really have
to.

I use Macs, mostly because of the above mentioned architecural
software. OS X has native support for dual processors and RAID (I use
striped) for Photoshop. I wish I could add another 10Gb of RAM, but
even with 400Mb files things aren't too bad right now. When I upgrade
again, in about 3 or 4 years, things will be substantially faster,
programs will each require 1Gb of RAM and 500Mb of disk space and
feel no faster. Bugs and viruses will be as prevalent and we'll be
complaining about not being able to do reasonably fast processing on
age recession on portraits on our 15K ppi scans.

If Apple survives (hopefully, for everyone concerned), we'll still
have these Mac/Windows arguments, to just as much effect.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design