[filmscanners] Re: No more Kodak CD-R's

Some Memorex disks are probably just fine... but the question is which
ones. There are some free very small utilities, one called
CDRIdentifier.exe, which reads the manufacturer's info and even the type
of dye and real space on the disk.  I think Tucows has it (and I'm sure
other download sites).

I would think that disks made by companies like Fuji, Sony, Verbatim and
maybe the higher end Maxell would be OK.  Several companies are now
hyping longer lasting disks at a premium price.

I know about a year or so ago, I checked a web site which had a bunch of
scientific analysis of CD-R material, and they were suggesting the 650mb
disks were safer to use than the 700MB due to the 700MB either requiring
higher density (and therefore being more cramped) or because the writer
had to use another area of the disk, or both (I can't recall).

The Mitsui gold disks should still be available for now, although at the
price they are going for, I suspect they are clearing them out. I just
can't believe they can be profitable at those prices.

Art