  ПЕРСОНАЛЬНОЕ

  ПРОГРАММЫ

ПИШИТЕ
ПИСЬМА

     АРХИВ :: Filmscanners

[filmscanners] RE: over resolving scans

> Mr Entlich said:

Er, no.  I said that.

> BZZZZZT.  B&W films have very LOW density ranges in the overall
> spectrum of
> density ranges of films.  You're lucky if you find a density
> range of near 2
> from B&W print film.
> ===============================
> This simply is not true: an examination of film characteristics in Adams'
> "The Negative" for example, will show half-a-dozen examples to
> the contrary.
> See especially Kodak Plus-X Professional treated with selenium
> toner.  From
> the first usable density of 0.3 above Fb+F (Film base + Fog) to 2.7 the
> curve is practically linear.
>

> George Harrison

George,

What I said simply IS true, directly from the Kodak data sheets.  Your
example, first off, is using compensation development (which is not what
most people do) and gives an overall density of 2.4 (2.7 - .3 = 2.4).
That's still a LOT closer to 2 than it is to 3.6-4.2.

Of course you can find special cases where SOME B&W films CAN give extended
density ranges, but that simply is not the norm.  Notice the curve for Tri-X
Professional Sheet Film shows "Normal" development as being right about 2
(2.1 - .1 = 2).

Do you develop using compensation development?

Austin