[filmscanners] Re: Minolta Elite scsi

> I have a Minolta Speed Scan which I bought before the Elite was
> remaindered. How much better is the Elite SCSI than the Speed Scan apart
> from the dust removal feature?

Once you ignore the IR channel for dust removal, the hardware is fairly
identical. The
big difference is the software.  The version that shipped with the Elite had
much better
colour management features so the preview you saw in the Minolta software was
far more
likely to match the final version in Photoshop.  The profiles that shipped with
the Scan
Speed seem to be broken or deficient.

One workaround for Scan Speed users is to do a 16 bit raw scan and use the
profile that
shipped with the Elite to convert the scan into the working space.

> I have Vuescan but have not so far been able to get it to work as well as
> the Minolta plug-in especially on dense transparencies. Is there a more
> complete guide available anywhere?( I have looked at the site ) There are
> so many parameters and the terms used are different. Results so far have
> been rather random.
> (current system Mac OS 9.04 512Mb)

Try doing a raw scan via the Minolta plug-in and using Vuescan on the file
instead.  I
found that combination better on some images either application one
individually.

Al Bond