From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca>
To: <anthony@atkielski.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2002 03:10
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Avoiding Newton rings

The cause of Newton Rings is when a space is created between two finely
polished or glossy surfaces that is a very small space equal to or a
small multiple of white light wavelengths, which then cause interference
colors via the reflection between the surfaces. The best way to avoid
them completely is to have the space between the two surfaces be wide
enough that this phenomenon doesn't occur.

One way that this has been dealt with is by using a glass which has a
very fine etched surface which creates very small "contact points"
between the two surfaces.  Another method is to use a very fine powder
(talc is sometimes used) to again create this "airpace" with minimal
contact points.

The more often the film gets very close to the glass surface, the more
series of Newton rings will develop.  Some people use a one-sided glass
carrier to allow the film to be supported by gravity by that bottom
surface, usually having the emulsion side contact that glass surface
which has more texture and is less likely to cause Newton Rings.

If one can figure another way to create a large enough airspace, Newton
Rings can be avoided.

Art

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> I use the glass 120 film holder on my LS-8000ED because I need to be able
> hold the film flat, however, I have a lot of trouble with Newton rings.
The