[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for Sat 28 Sep,2002

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for Sat 28 Sep,2002
  • From: "Jonathan Ratzlaff" <jonathanr@clrtech.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:16:45 -0700

Topic: Minolta Elite scsi
I don't think there is much difference between the Elite and the Scan
Speed. at least from my experience with the scan speed and seeing other
people's scans with the Elite.  It boils down to practice.  There is so
much more noise in the shadows of minolta's plug in software ( at least on
a PC) than Vuescan.  That coupled with the magenta cast in the scan brings
me back to Vuescan every time. At least Vuescan produces a result that
looks like the slide (except high contrast Velvia) almost every time.   Use
the current version and try these settings. : media, image : no of passes
8, colour balance, neutral, black point 0: white point.0.1%'; brightness 1;
set the colour space to the colourspace you are using, an set the image
curve at gamma.  this should provide a fair starting point.  I generally
set the lock exposure settings to 2.  This seems to give me a good alround
exposure that does not destroy the highlights.  If I want more detail in
the shadows, I will make a second scan at a greater exposure with a
brightness (level equiv) of 1.2 and combine the two scans in photoshop.
This works quite well.

The polaroid dust and scratch removal software works quite well with
transparencies because all the defects are black and makes up for the lack
of digital ice.

There is quite good documentation in the help file on the vuescan software.

Remember that you are essentially using a scanning camera when using a film
scanner, which just like any camera does not always do a good job on
automatic exposure.  You generally have to make adjustments one way or
another to get the results you want.