[filmscanners] Re: How does Minolta Scan Dual 2 compare with Nikon LS-30?

> Further to my earlier post about the Nikon, I have also seen a Minolta
> scan dual 2 being sold secondhand, how does this compare? As I am in the
> UK our prices are somewhat more expensive, so what should I expect to
> pay for this Minolta. I understand that it has no Digital Ice, but does
> this make a lot of difference?

I would definitely go for the Nikon, even if it's just for UNIX driver
support (Minolta hasn't released any specs, so there is no
driver). Also, if I remember correctly, the Minolta has no automatic
film strip feeder, which is a feature to die for unless you have
mounted slides to scan exclusively.

The lack of ICE is not a big deal since the Minolta uses a Xenon lamp
whereas all Nikons have highly collimated LED sources. Only the latter
really requires ICE because it exaggerates defects like dust. ICE
doesn't work on B&W and Kodachrome anyway.

  Andras