From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Geoff Clack
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 5:11 AM
To: snsok@swbell.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: What can you advise?

"Paul D. DeRocco" <pderocco@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>How would you rank the following criteria: speed; dust and scratch
>suppression; color accuracy; wide density range; absence of grain aliasing;
>easy negative handling; automatic feeding?

Thanks Paul, and all the others who've offered advice. I've
revised/improved my spec to read:

35mm; 4000-ppi; Firewire; speed; dust and scratch suppression; colour
(I'm a Brit) accuracy; wide density range; absence of grain aliasing;
easy negative handling; automatic feeding; small footprint and value
for money. Does that narrow the field?

Alex mentioned Polaroid's "SS4000 (or his newer update SS4000+)". So
far I can't find the SS4000+ on this side of the pond, not even on
the UK distributor's Website. Does anybody know if it's on its way?

But the SS4000 is approx half the price of the Nikon LS4000ED, which
makes it attractive - until I read of Thomas' slide holder purchase
problems and Arthur's DIY 'sandpaper the SS120 slideholder and stick
in bits of cardboard' advice (he's not joking?). I'd need convincing
that Polaroid can provide the answer to my 'I'm in the market for a
film scanner' quest. Unless, that is, someone knows better.

Put another way, my question is: "If, after a lightning strike which
ruined all your equipment (been there, done that) you had to buy a
new film scanner, what would you buy. And why?

Geoff.