[filmscanners] RE: What can you advise?

Hi Paul,

As I said, there was a world before DigitalICE, so this is hardly a new
concept ;-)

What I believe is most important is negative storage.  I put mine in
PrintFile sleeves, in three ring notebooks with somewhat sealed sides, and I
put them in a file cabinet, so the amount of dust that can get to them is
very minimal.

I also make sure my cameras/backs/rollers are clean, so I don't get
scratching from them, as well as be careful when rolling the film onto the
reels.

I also have a dehumidifier in my lab...I can't say if that helps a lot or
not, but I don't have any dust problems on my stored film.  On film I simply
leave lying around, perhaps.

Another issue, that I've written a bit about, is scanner design.  The
Leafscan has a pressurized chamber so dust doesn't settle in there.  I DID
have dust problems with my SS4k, simply because it's a static
environment...but have had none with the Leafscan 45.

Regards,

Austin