[filmscanners] Re: What can you advise?

Let's be fair, it makes complete sense for commercial scanners to have
dICE.  The condition of the film and storage will vary widely.  No
commercial lab is going to do ANY spotting on inexpensive scans.  Also,
how much does dICE add to the cost of a commercial scanner by percentage
versus how much does it add to a desktop scanner?  I'm guessing the cost
increase to the desktop scanner is considerably more by percentage.

We've sparred (with gloves on, of course) over this before.  I don't
think many would argue that if the Polaroid scanner had dICE it would
make it not only a better scanner, but the most versatile and best in
its class, bar none.  However, dICE doesn't come for free, by any means.
  It is one of the cost factors in Nikon's premium pricing.

I know of dozens of SS4000 and SS4000+ (and the Microtek equivalent)
scanner owners and I have only once had someone somewhat bemoan dust
problems, and this individual wants to have scans which show no defects,
even if these defects don't show on the print outs (last I heard, he
still very much likes his SS4000+).

If you speak to people who use the Nikons or Minoltas about "life
without dICE" (with true B&W), they usually have a lot to say about
spotting.

In a perfect world, dICE wouldn't add any cost for to the end user.  In
that case, I'd agree that every scanner should have dICE or an
equivalent IR cleaning solution, but that isn't the situation (which is
in part what keeps food on your table, as it should, the company you
represent deserves to be paid for a great series of inventions).  But
not all scanners "need" IR cleaning incorporated in them.

And, in terms of time (relative to using Polaroid's external software
solution), dICE has a fairly substantial time overhead, so it doesn't
come "free" that way either.

For someone who is scanning a majority of color film types, that may
have had variable handling, I suggest dICE based scanners, although I
cannot suggest a specific scanner without knowing more, because they
each present other difficulties as well, unrelated to dICE. For people
who scan a reasonable amount of black and white processed
(non-chromogenic, non-C-41 B&W) films, they must consider how the
scanner functions in a dICE-free environment into the equation.

And just to state this publicly, I think ASF is one of the most
innovative companies in image processing, and I wish them the best of
fortunes for their breakthrough concepts.  Overall, I believe they saved
some desktop scanners which would have been nearly unusable (at least to
the point of frustration), had it not been for dICE.  ASF has products
that have revolutionized certain methodologies and made the impossible
possible and I have the utmost respect as they override seemingly
impossible challenges.

However, not everyone gains the same potential benefit from dICE.

Art