[filmscanners] Color Misregistration (Especially Polaroid Sprintscan 120)

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Color Misregistration (Especially Polaroid Sprintscan 120)
  • From: "" <focus@adnc.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:59:39 -0700

I'm interested in hearing about how good color registration is on
filmscanners in general, especially on the Polaroid Sprintcscan 120,
which I just bought, and the Nikon 8000, which I apparently should have
bought.

On my Sprintscan I am getting color misregistration of up to 8 pixels
(at 4000dpi) in the scan direction. It's not a constant
just-shift-the-channel-in-Photoshop kind of thing, but a varying
phenomenon - on any given 6 x 7 there will be several bands in perfect
register, then the registration will get worse to the point of 6 - 8
pixels off, then gradually get better again. This repeats about a
half-dozen times over a piece of 6 x 7. It happens in the Polaroid
Insight software and in Vuescan, connected by FireWire or SCSI, on two
different computers (beige G3 and Blue G3).

I sometimes do big enlargements off of very tight crops, and this
misregistration causes color fringing that is totally unacceptable to
me. My dilemma now is whether to let them send me another Polaroid, and
hope it works better, or just get my money back and try a Nikon 8000.
The Infrared dust/scratch feature on the Nikon holds little charm for
me; multi-sampling is cool, but not $1000 worth of cool. I'd rather have
the Polaroid, but not if this is the best they can do on color
registration.