[filmscanners] Re: scan resolution for digital projection

Date sent:              Sat, 21 Sep 2002 23:04:22 -0400
Send reply to:          filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
From:                   "John Matturri" <jmatturr@earthlink.net>
To:                     doogle@doogle.com
Subject:                [filmscanners] scan resolution for digital projection

> Not quite on topic. . .
>
> I need to scan slides to be used in a presentation that will use a
> digital projector. My current plan is to simply have jpegs in a file and
> to scroll through them, using Irfanview, by hitting the spacebar on a
> laptop. I have no way of finding out what model of digital projector
> will be used. Any idea of a safe generic resolution to use the final
> jpeg? (Also, does anyone with experience at these things see any problem
> with scrolling through the images ith the viewer?)
>
> John M.

Powerpoint likes 800x600 for horiz images.
Trouble with pure images, meaning not in a presentation program, is that your
screen rez and
projector rez will come into play. (your images are 1024 and projector only
does 800, etc, where
as PowerPoint will scale the presentation to match your screen resolution).

All that being said, it's a rare projector that won't do 800x600 anymore. Then
again, if your puter
is running only 800x600, you will need to show them in Irfanview slide show
mode (as opposed to
just viewing each image in the main program itself), as just the menus will eat
up some room and
image would have to scroll to see it all.

And you don't want Irfanview to scale your images to fit window, quality
suffers.

Guess my final advice is to use PowerPoint :-)
If not, then 800 x 600 should do it, one way or the other, but you really
*should* make sure you're
not getting an antique 640x480 projector.

Mac

           Mac McDougald -- DOOGLE DIGITAL
  500 Prestwick Ridge Way # 39 - Knoxville, TN 37919
 doogle@doogle.com  865-540-1308  http://www.doogle.com