[filmscanners] Re: Help needed for PhotoSmart S20

I no longer own my S20, but as I recall the only user initiated
calibration process available is for the reflective (print) feature, as
Bob suggests.

The most likely cause for the problems you are having are:

1) The mirror might be out of sequence with the scanning cycle.  I don't
recall the exact process for resequencing it, but it involves running
the three  different cycles (slide/neg/reflective) a time or two, I
believe with the scanner disconnected from the USB interface, after also
removing the  power connector for several minutes and doing the process
wit the scanner upside down.  Make sure the clamshell is properly
closed.  This problem also usually shows up as some green or red
fringing on the scan image.

2) Dirty mirror or light path can be carefully cleaned using the squeeze
bulb

3) Light bulb is failing and too dim or no longer color accurate.  These
  cold cathode bulbs are pretty long lasting bit can eventually fail.

Art