From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca>
To: <krille@tin.it>
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 5:07 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Which SCSI Card for SS4000

Actually, I suspect your thinking wasn't correct previously (and it
appears to me your still not set up correctly now). In regard to the
SS4000, this might explain why the 25 pin wasn't working correctly.
Since it was not terminated, in spite of being the last physical device
on that side of the chain, the use of the "less securely grounded"
cabling may have been enough to cause the upset, and the use of the
Centronix 50 M may have "saved the day". Incorrect termination doesn't
always lead to disaster, but it certainly makes it more likely.
Termination stops "echoing" of the signal back down the cable, but good
quality cables may help to prevent this problem by allowing for a strong
enough "correct" signal that the echo doesn't cause enough conflict to
be noticeable.  It may be slowing down the speed if data has to be sent
more than once.

Also, your SCSI card being device 7 has nothing to do with
auto-termination.  Almost all, if not all SCSI cards are device 7. Your
card is actually in the center of the chain (most SCSI cards which have
both internal and external connectors have the internal connection chain
making up one end, and the external chain the other).  If either
connection is not in use, then the card becomes the "end" of that side
and is automatically terminated.

So, in your case, your CD burner is the end of the internal side, and
should be terminated, the card should NOT be terminated (which it seems
in your case it will automatically decide not to do) and the last device
on the external side (the flatbed in this case, previously the SS4000)
should also be terminated.

This is just one of the many reasons SCSI is fast being left behind for
most consumer applications.  The rules are just too easy to
misinterpret.  Apparently SCSI interfacing was one of the most expensive
customer support issues facing companies that used it for consumer
applications and although USB 1, 2, and Firewire have certainly had
their problems (Via chip set for starters), they are much more user
friendly, when the hardware does what it is supposed to, at least.

Art