From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Roy Smyth
Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2002 1:27 PM
To: snsok@swbell.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: understanding
contaminatedblacks--SS4000--newbie type question

At 05:59 PM 9/7/02 -0500, Stan Schwartz wrote:
>When scanning high contrast Velvia transparencies, <snip>....
>
>Is there anything I can do with Photoshop to remove some of this?

Once you get to Photoshop, you are limited by the scan. If the detail isn't
there or if you are trying to work in noise, there isn't much you can do.

Here are two suggestions to help you get the best scan:

1. If you aren't doing so already, scan in 16 bits. The SS4000 has 12 bits
of resolution and the additional bits help in the shadows. However, you
only get access to the additional four bits if you do a 16 bit scan. The 16
bit file is BIG (100 MB) and Photoshop is limited in what it will do with a
16 bit file. Using curves in Photoshop work on the shadows in the 16 bit
image. Then convert to 8 bits.

2. Try using Vuescan instead of PolaColor Insight. My experience is that
Insight often gives a poorly exposed scan which means that you are starting
with limited range. I'm much more productive using Vuescan. It is the best
value investment I have ever made in my "digital darkroom."

Hope this helps.

Roy

Roy Smyth
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada