[filmscanners] Summary of SS4000 cleaning discussion.

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Summary of SS4000 cleaning discussion.
  • From: "HPA" <tom@historicphotoarchive.com>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 14:29:23 -0700

Summary of SS4000 cleaning discussion.

HOW DO I KNOW IF MY SCANNER NEEDS CLEANING? By opening the unit and
examining the optical mirror.  Or, if you want a preliminary idea of how
dirty the mirror may be before taking this step, look at the amount of dust
underneath your scanner.  If you do not use a dustcover, this is likely to
be a good indicator of how much dust may be on the optical lens and mirror.
(this is because the scanner has open holes and serves as a dust collector,
unless you have a dust cover)

HOW DO I OPEN THE UNIT FOR EXAMINATION AND CLEANING?  First, get the scanner
unplugged from the computer and out on a clear well lit table where you can
work on it.  Turn the scanner upside down, you will see four plastic catches
on the bottom sides near the corners.  A small flat screwdriver can be used
to pop open these catches.  Be careful not to break them.  Once you have
released the catches and have slid the top off, you will see the mechanism.
The top cover and main chassis will, of course, still be connected by
various wires. Connect the power cord to the unit and press the power button
on.   The scanner will attempt to go through one cycle.  Be observant, at
one point the optical mirror will be perfectly revealed.  It may take a few
tries to see how it works.  As soon as the mirror is perfectly accessible,
pull the power cord so it freezes in that position.

HOW DO I CLEAN THE OPTICAL MIRROR?  With compressed air.  Air comes in two
forms, a compressor or a can of dust-off available from camera stores, etc.
If you have compressor, set to about 40 lbs of air pressure.  I recommend
you use a medical compressor because it does not have oil pistons.
(Regular air compressors sold for general machine or airbrush use have oil
pistons, so make sure your compressor does not emit tiny oil droplets out
the nozzle)  If you use the canned air, remember not to hold the can at an
angle because some of these squirt a liquid out if held at angles other than
generally vertical.  Perhaps you can put the scanner on it's side while
blowing the dust away.  Another suggestion for canned air is to put a
downward bend in the tube that is used to extend the nozzle, you can do this
while slightly heating the tube with a match.  Blow off the mirror and lens
real good.

WHAT IT THE MIRROR NEEDS FURTHER CLEANING?  Then you need denatured alcohol
available from hardware or paint stores (which is NOT drugstore isopropyl
alcohol).  Use lens cleaning tissue, and put a little denatured alcohol on
the tissue.  Fold the tissue over and drag it across the mirror using no
pressure.  Do not get the alcohol on plastic parts or let it get behind the
mirror, or let it drip all over everything.  Use each tissue only once and
discard.

WHAT CAN I DO TO KEEP THE UNIT IN GOOD CONDITION?   make a plastic
dustcover.  Or, put it in a plastic bag when not using it.  Anything to keep
dust from getting into it is a good thing.

This is not authorized factory service information.   I am not qualified to
do anything, I have no education, I don't know anything.  These are
practical suggestions for do-it-yourselfers and are based on my personal
experience of doing it.  My remarks about cleaning the mirror come from
questioning a life-long camera repairman.   I have no factory training or
information.  There are many people on this list who are scanner scientists
and mechanics and can probably offer better information, so let's hope to
hear from them.

Good luck
--
Thomas Robinson