[filmscanners] RE: dynamic range discussion

The topics of density range and dynamic range are relevant and pertinant to
scanners and scanning; unfortunately, the discussion has taken on a life of
itsown and ranged away from what is relevant and pertinent to scanning and
scanners to what is of interest to engineers and academics.  This is has
gotten both out of controland repetitive for the most part, although  of
recent hidden beneath the clutter a few gems of clarity and advancement of
the discussion have appreared only to be lost in the chatter that they were
a part of.

My fear with proposals such as you are suggesting either in jest or in
seriousness is that they often define those things of relevance to scanners
and scanning as being cookbook "how to" recipes of how to resolve some
particular empirical practical problem of a hardware, software, or workflow
nature, as being battles over which scanner or software is better or best in
response to some subscribers question as to what hardware or software they
should buy, and as being superficial discussions of diagnosis of pragmatic
related issues such as if it is better to scan positive films or negative
films, film or prints, one type of film or paper over another type of film
or paper.  The result is typically that all technical discussions of more
than a superficial nature are abandoned and anything that is not in the form
of advice or solutions to "how to" or "which is better" questions gives rise
to a chorus of complaining subscribers who only want to talk about what is
important to them.