[filmscanners] Re: Dynamic range

"Roy Harrington" <roy@harrington.com> writes:

The notion that "Dynamic Range is not based on the actual values the data
represents" is so ludicrous that I'm just going to have to bow out of this
fruitless endeavor.  I had hopes that you might be able to "get" it but ...
<<<<<<<<<<<<

I think we need to retreat to basics:

Density range: the range of densities the scanner can recognize.

Dynamic range: How finely the scanner chops up ("resolves") the density
range.

Which means that dynamic range has very little to do with the physical
quantities the values represent. (More accurately, the meaning of the
individual values are determined by the meanings of the endpoints and how
finely the actual range is chopped up, but it is the density range that
determines the meaning of the endpoints.)

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan