[filmscanners] Re: Printer left on or off?

This question seems to get as many varied responses as the question
"should I leve my computer on all the time" or "should I leave
my monitor on all the time." The answer seems to be "it depends."
On the inks you are using, the printer you are using, the humidity
in your environment.

I have an Epson 785EPX. When I left it on all the time, it clogged
frequently. Now I turn it off when I'm not going to be printing
for a few hours, and it clogs less frequently. I assume this
is because it does a mini-headclean when it is shut down and
then turned back on. On the other hand, some people with 1280s
leave theirs on for months at a time and have no problems. I
don't know how susceptible your particular printers are to clogging.
I'd think that if you tried leaving them on for a couple of weeks
and got no clogs with normal use, you'd achieve no benefit by
turning them off. And vice-versa. As for saving ink, I don't
know. The printers also "know" when to initiate head cleanings,
and they may "know" to do so more often if the printer is left
on all the time. One way or the other, the manufacturers will
sell you as much ink as they can!

- David