[filmscanners] Re: "Halo" Effect

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: "Halo" Effect
  • From: "Michael O'Connor" <omichael@optonline.net>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 02:30:24 -0400

Hi Joe,

   Sounds to me that this is more likely a problem with your unit rather
than the SS4000 as a class, though it could still be a design flaw. If
you don't have direct access to another SS4000 as per Laurie's
suggestion, maybe you could send a borderline reject slide from which
you've seen the problem to another listmember that has the model.

  It doesn't really sound like flare, it sounds like dirt or a light
path problem. Of course, the problem should then always be there, so I'm
curious, on your scans that don't exhibit the problem, is that by visual
inspection, or have you checked all the likely locations closely with
the densitometer? the densitometer should reveal that the flaring is
always there to some degree but obvious only on the high contrast
slides.

  (I haven't checked back through earlier messages, if you've noted
doing a similar check I don't remember that, but if that's the
case....never mind)

Michael O