[filmscanners] Re: Scanning with too much resolution? (was:PSsharpening...)

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Scanning with too much resolution? (was:PSsharpening...)
  • From: "Michael O'Connor" <omichael@optonline.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 02:28:43 -0400

  I lost the beginning of this thread, and I have a printed copy of PP5
but not PP6, has anyone checked the printed copy?
Checking any online pdf of a printed book for anything to do with
quality is of questionable value; among other reasons, you have no idea
how the pdf was produced.

  Both images were obviously downsampled, and whether they were switched
or not both should be at the same resolution now, and should have been
reproduced in the book at the same line screen.
If I had to guess I'd say they're in the correct positions relevant to
the caption but, either the top image is a preview which hadn't been
swapped out while the bottom image was downsampled from the actual image
data, or Distiller was set up with some discombobulated logic.

  In any case, I don't think you can fault Dan Margulis or judge his
argument one way or another from the pdf. Hopefully, the print version
ran before the problem occured or someone caught and corrected it for
the print edition.

Michael O

(was:PSsharpening...)

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

> From: Julian Vrieslander
>
> It's from Dan Margulis' book "Professional Photoshop".  A couple of
the
> chapters are available on the web.  Earlier in this thread, Preston
Earle