From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Julian
Vrieslander
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 4:04 PM
To: laurie@advancenet.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Prints from scans ... are there
reallydifferences any more?

On 8/16/02 6:13 AM, "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com> wrote:

> I'm having a hard time figuring out just exactly why pro prints are so
> expensive if they look just like the prints from the one-hour lab.  Just
> what am I getting for all that extra money?

Maybe nothing.

At the risk of belaboring the obvious, there are many "pro labs" whose work
is mediocre or worse.  And some one-hour "mini labs" can turn out very good
prints.  The deciding factor is usually the meatware - the people running
the machines, and the managers who supervise them.  How much training have
they had?  How well do they calibrate and maintain their processes?  Do they
set the right filtration for your film?  Do they use an appropriate paper?
How much time do they take on each order?  Will they reprint if you do not
like the first run?  Will the second run look better?

--
Julian Vrieslander <julianv@mindspring.com>