[filmscanners] No subject was specified.

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] No subject was specified.
  • From: "Michael O'Connor" <omichael@optonline.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 03:27:44 -0400

>What on earth are you talking about?  Where do you set the DPI of the
scan?
>Scanners scan in SAMPLES PER INCH, and create files that are PIXELS PER

>INCH.  You are saving a file that is PIXELS ...>

  Please, Austin, not again...There was merit at least to the density
range/dynamic range discussion, though in the end the dueling diatribes
just squandered it all away. Here, I mean, what does it matter? We can
all stipulate that yes, in most respects you're technically correct.
Bravo.

  But I've never heard anyone refer to a 4000 spi scanner, and I know
I'm not about to. Imagesetters, by the way, will also often use spi to
mean spots per inch, but everyone refers to their output in dpi. Though
I'm a stickler for using ppi for files myself, if someone refers to a
4000 dpi file I know exactly whar they mean. And, pixels is only
literally correct when the file is displayed, where its never, at
current levels of technology, going to be 4000 anythings per inch. There
aren't really any picture elements in files, so maybe we should adopt
still another varaiation on spi to mean Strings Per Inch...no, wait,
that's not right either, maybe dpi after all, but to mean, Descriptions
Per Inch, or... Definitions Per Inch, or

  On a Mac, anyway (and this better still be true in X), where pixels
are square, they could certainly be described as dots, it might be
stretching to call a PC pixel a dot, but the idea still isn't going to
mislead anyone.

.>..there is no option for saving your image in "DOTS" using
>PS.<

  And see where it gets you? of course there's an "option" to save your
image in dots using Photoshop.

  Take a breath, take a rest, and save your fire to try to draw
distinctions where they matter.

Michael O