[filmscanners] RE: Lab scans

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Lab scans
  • From: "Jack Phipps" <JPhipps@asf.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 07:03:55 -0500

Julie--
I've found it very difficult to get Digital Minilab operators to provide
high resolution scans, but it can be done. I'm looking at a scan from a
minilab that is 3637 by 2432. It doesn't provide maximum detail at the
highest octave, but it is okay. It is a 13 MB jpeg file. The operators
didn't know they could scan at this high a resolution. After talking to
someone at a tradeshow, I asked them to try scanning at 10 x 15 inches
(apparently a menu selection on the lab). The local lab said that wasn't a
choice but 8 x 12 was. This is how they got the 3637 x 2432 scan. At another
lab (different brand machine) could give 3000 by 2000 scans. We haven't been
able to get 16 bit scans or anything other than jpegs for that matter.
Again, the scans aren't great but they are fast and cheap.

Good luck with your scanning.

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction