[filmscanners] RE: film departing soon - also spectro print heads

I gather that you don't agree with them any more than I do, so I want to be
clear that I'm arguing with them, not you.

It seems odd for them to say that professionals don't need the CD printing
capability--just about everyone with a computer could find CD printing
useful at least once in a while. My guess is that it consists of some sort
of plastic holder that the CD snaps into, that can run through the printer.
Probably costs them less than a buck.

As to the gray balancer, it looks like the sort of thing that someone could
sell as a cheap add-on for any printer, and even without it one can still
find the proper gray balance through experimentation, so I'm not as bothered
by the lack of that.

As to color management, Canon could really clean everyone's clock by selling
a spectrophotometer head for their S9000 printer. Epson's print heads aren't
removable, but Canon's are, and they already sell a scanner head for some of
their printers. I doubt the scanner head works very well, but a spectro only
needs to read the average color of a patch, not reproduce extremely fine
detail. The problem with cheap spectros is that you have to position them
manually over a large number of patches; putting it in the printer solves
that problem, because you've already got a perfectly good two-dimensional
mechanical positioning system.

I can imagine it now: print a test pattern, then temporarily replace the
print head with the spectro head and run the same piece of paper through the
printer, and have it build a profile for you.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco