[filmscanners] RE: Switch from Win98SE to XP?

I agree with your statements.  I have experienced crashes with XP of both
types the hard reboot type of system crash and the softer program crash or
freeze.  So far they have been far fewer on my XP machines than on my WIN98
machines.  In my case, the four different machines are paired and networked
via an ad hoc peer-to-peer wireless network with ine unit being Xp and one
being Win99 in each pair.

>the main problem being getting drivers for some peripherals,
>but even that is less of a problem these days

I have not found it getting easier to get new drivers and upgrade patches
for older peripherals and programs like you suggest.  Often with programs,
one has to upgrade to an entirely new version at a cost; with devices, many
of the device manufactures that I used either are not in business any longer
so they do not have upgraded drivers available or they have orphaned the
model of device for support purposes whereby they no longer supply upgraded
drivers for that model of the device (Umax PowerLook II is an example) and
the upgraded drivers for the newer model device will not work with the older
one.  However, this may be unique to me.