When it comes to doing the html don't use FrontPage... it's really crap...
use Dreamweaver MX but that's several hundred dollars... there are a number
of free html editors out there which are pretty good.... one that comes to
mind is 1st Page 2000 by Evrsoft... you can download it at www.evrsoft.com
As to bloated html... you'll always get that by using a WYSIWYG editor....
notepad is the best... but is it worth th hassle and the learning curve?
Doubt it :) Once your page is done there are a number of free programs to
validate your code... there are also online sites that will do this for
you....

Regarding you images... a combination of PS7, which you say you have and
ImageReady are more than enough....

Cheers...

SD

PS: EvrSoft also offers domain hosting... just in case you want to check it
out.... http://www.evrsoft.com/giveaway_ad_live.html