[filmscanners] Re: Switch from Win98SE to XP?

"Tomek Zakrzewski" <tomzakrz@ka.onet.pl> asks:

Is there any advantage in upgrading from Win 98SE to Win XP Home Edition
regarding filmscanning and dealing with large files and using Photoshop?
Better management of high amount of RAM, for example? Anything else?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The OS (NT/Win2K/XP) is, by design, a _far_ better OS. For starters,
Win95/98/SE/ME (and the pre-OS-X Mac OS) leave the OS open to overwriting by
buggy applications and only exist as a favor to people who use certain badly
designed applications (mostly games) that access the hardware directly.

I'm about to rebuild my system completely, it's a good opportunity to change
OS, but I don't want to do it only to have a new OS, there should be a
reason fot it.

Really. FWIW, I know of no reason to go for XP over Win 2000. I insisted on
Win2k when I bought a new machine a couple of months ago, simply because I
didn't feel like being a guinea pig for the new release. If you go for XP
(it's late enough that most of the early adopter glitches should have been
found) you might consider the "Pro" edition. In general "Home" editions
include useless stuff and leave out important things.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan