From: Nagaraj, Ramesh <RAMESH.NAGARAJ@ca.com>
To: <opopanax@xs4all.nl>
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 5:43 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] File size in PS?

> Hi,
>
> At maximum resolution, single pass, my Minolta Elite II generates 35.MB
TIFF file.
> If I open the above file in PS and do a "SaveAs"(with LZW compression),
file size increases. I do not know why?

> Here are details.
>
> Vuescan file size- 35MB
> PS "SaveAs" with LZW - 56MB
> PS "SaveAs" without LZW - 66MB
>
> I looked at the Explorer/Properties/Summary for both Vuescan file & PS
file. The changes are as follows.

*****

****
> Compression- Lempel-Ziv
> File Size- 66MB
>

> So the difference between the two is; PS uses Lempel-Ziv "Lempel-Ziv
Horizontal differ..." compression while Vuescan follows "Lempel-Ziv"
compression.

> I tried using VuePrint for compression, it reduced the 34MB file to around
20MB.

> My questions are
> a) Why the "SaveAs" in PS increses the file size?
> b) "VuePrint" for file compressses more than PS & "VueScan";  Does it mean
"VuePrint" use latest LZW technology which PS6.0 does not implernent?

> Any thoughts about this is welcome. I do not worry about the price of the
CDs but I worry about the numbers.

so sending it again **************************