[filmscanners] ss4000+

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] ss4000+
  • From: "John Matturri" <jmatturr@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 10:44:58 -0400

I recently had to replace an SS4000 with the more recent model. I was
wondering if anyone else has experienced either of these problems. I'm
running the scanner under Win2K Pro with 1 GB of memory. I am using a
firewire connection built into an Audigy soundcard. Based on the second
problem I exchanged the scanner

1) Vuescan crashes every few scans, and always when trying a batch scan.
When I try to close it in Task Manager I get a message saying that the
program can't be closed so I need to reboot. If I reboot without turning
off the scanner, the scanner can't be found. I sent an problem report to
Ed but would like to know if anyone has had such problems.

2) The carrier track in both of the samples of the scanner doesn't seem
to be properly aligned. With both the negative and the slide carriers
the scanned image is askew and needs to be rotated in PS (about .68
clockwise). My SS4000 was perfectly aligned, although of course you had
to be careful with the negative carrier.

I appreciate the increased speed of the scanner but these problems,
especially the second, are a nuisance.

John Matturri