[filmscanners] Re: Black and white scansonLS4000EDandotherissues

on 6/29/02 10:51 PM, Austin Franklin wrote:

>> the
>> Callier effect is predicable, and in some cases useful, and can be
>> compensated for as needed.
>
> What about the limited depth of focus, as well as scratches and dust?  How
> do you compensate for that?

Well for me, dust and scratches fall under the "ease of use" factor as
opposed to quality of print. If they are a great bane of one's existence
than they should see if a diffuse source makes a big difference for them.
For me it didn't. They are compensated for by cleaning negs and spotting
prints.

Depth of focus is compensated for by your lens aperture, which as I already
explained you have greater control over with a condenser enlarger, with it's
ability to change bulb wattages, than a coldlight.

>> Not sure if depth of focus is of any real relevance.
>
> Snark, snark...ask people who own Nikon scanners if depth of focus is an
> issue or not ;-)

I really don't see this a function of the Callier effect, though I'm more
than open to being educated on that. As with most focus issues I see it as a
function of the lens/aperture relative to the distance/curvature of the film
and/or the distance/curvature of the enlarging paper. These relationships
exist equally for both diffusion and collimated light sources.

The focus issue with the Nikon scanners, as far as I can see, has nothing to
do with the Callier effect, it's that the lens aperture is too wide. That is
a function of the brightness of the light, not whether it is collimated or
diffuse.

But again, light intensity and lens aperture are imminently controllable
with a condenser enlarger, not so with the Nikon, so it does not share that
quality with the scanner.

Todd