[filmscanners] Re: Black and white scans on LS4000 ED andotherissues

Andras

The issue about not being able to scan BW as RGB is true, to the extent that
the way the scanner works will pevent it from 'seeing' the interframe gaps
and therefore the neg strip will be misaligned.  This appears to be a
hardware limitation, not software.

Simon

Major A wrote:

Simon,

> To be fair, no scanner manufacturer will state that black and white film
is
> easy to scan, and none will say that dICE can be used on such film.  The
> Nikon person was quite rightly stating is that if you want to use dICE
then
> you must use a C41 process black and white film.

I must say their response was absolutely correct and fair, given that
they work for a profit-based company...

> I remain disappointed that they state you cannot scan black and white as
RGB
> positive, even intimating that one would be manipulating a lesser quality
> scan in Photoshop than if the scan had been done as a monochrome scan.
That

What they say is definitely not true. The scanner allows you to set
the exposures separately and read out the raw CCD data, so all
limitations they might be thinking of arise from the design of the
scan software.

> I do accept that the LS4000 will not find the interframe gaps and so will
> not align the frame to be scanned properly, which therefore negates any
form
> of single frame or batch scanning of black and white negs in RGB mode.

This is very valuable information to me, telling me something that is
not in their command specifications... Anyway, do you know what
effects negative mode has in Nikonscan? I haven't used that program
(I'm not using Window$ anywhere...), so I have no way of telling.

  Andras