[filmscanners] Black and white scans on LS4000 ED and other issues

I tried scanning some Delta 100 black and white negs on a Nikon LS4000 ED
and the quality was awful, using either Nikon Scan 3.1.3 or Vuescan.  I
tried scanning as monochrome, as colour and as colour positive and inverting
in Photoshop. In all cases the preview image looked fine but the actual scan
showed tiny white spots all over the images.

I can't seems to get a good black and white scan at all. Can anyone tell me
how to get good black and white scans?

When scanning colour slides (Provia 100F and Kodak EBX 100) the scans have
too much red in them.  Is this a facet of this scanner?

When scanning a strip of slides (or negs) in the strip film adapter, the
left edge of the preview image and scanned image is not straight, it bows in
at the centre and into the image area.  Has anyone else seen this?  It is
annoying as I had to crop a part of the image when I didn't actually want
to.

Also, the preview in Nikon scan looks very clear whereas the actual
completed scan image in the Nikon Scan window looks muddy and grainy, and
you can see the white spots, that I mentioned above, on the image.

Any help, answers or opinions on these would be welcome.

Thanks.

Simon