From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Anthony Atkielski
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 2:17 AM
To: alexz@zoran.co.il
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Density vs Dynamic range>AUSTIN (2a)

Austin writes:

> Yes.  As far as film scanners go.

Look at the word "scan," and tell me if you see anything in the meaning of
this word that might be incompatible with the notion of zero change.

> Yes, but has nothing to do with the electronics
> of a film scanner.

The electronics of a film scanner handle information, and so the
implications of information theory apply to scanner electronics.

> Scanners are purely static devices.

Then how do they SCAN?

> The data that is captured has NO time
> property at all.

The data changes in the spatial domain, not the temporal domain, as I have
explained several times.

> Nothing changes because you scan faster
> or slower, given you are above the exposure
> and settling time of the mechanism.

Unless you have scanned a gray card, every pixel changes from every other.

> I really don't know what you are trying to
> get at here, Anthony.

So I surmised quite some time ago.  But I do wish to make the concept clear
to others who might see it with sufficient explanation.