From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Isidoro Orabona
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 5:48 PM
To: alexz@zoran.co.il
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Density vs Dynamic range>AUSTIN (2a)

Hi Austin,

your message that I refer to is at the bottom of my e-mail, this is:

>Sorry to sound "snide", but er, DUH!  Do you know of a CCD that outputs
>AC???  I don't!!!  It's ALL D/C measurements as it relates to scanners (and
>actually, even audio).

The statement in capitals is instead mine.

I claim that all useful signals are AC, or that can be modeled as AC
signals. The DC measurement isn't the signal itself, but only a measure,
just so, of part of its nature in a given instant. Then I claim that the CCD
outputs a analog AC signal, later converted via A/D converters.
At last, I want underline that no one can talk about signal and noise if he
don't state what the signal is and what the "noise" that MAY obscure it.
Only after you "modeled" your system, you can apply the formulas (and yours
are correct). When you read the specs of a A/D converter, for example, you
read signal to noise ratio in given (standard == agreement) conditions and
with a given (standard) test set, that together establish "the system".

Regards,

Isidoro